- The Clark is in the final phase of its campus expansion program, which includes construction of a new Visitor, Exhibition, and Conference Center designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Tadao Ando, renovation of both the original museum building and the Manton Research Center, and a sweeping new landscape plan. This expansion will add 16,000 square feet of gallery space and will establish the Clark as a leader in best practices for sustainability and energy efficiency. The grand re-opening is planned for July 4, 2014. Then starting in September through November the Clark will house the Magna Carta, a document issued in 1215 that paved the way for modern English and American democracy.
Anniversaries in 2014:
- Barrington Stage Company turns 20 this year.
- Berkshire Jazz celebrates its 10th anniversary.
- The Berkshire Fringe turns 10 this year.
- Annie Selke’s Pine Cone Hill celebrates 20 years of inspiring home design.
- MASS MoCA celebrates their 15th anniversary.
- Quality Printing celebrates their 30th anniversary.
- The Memorial Day Marathon celebrates its 5th anniversary.
- The Mohawk Trail celebrates its 100th anniversary.
- Vault Gallery celebrates its 10th anniversary.
- Stockbridge Main Street at Christmas celebrates its 25th anniversary.
- Berkshire Botanical Garden turns 80 this year.
- The Mount‘s historic stable is now open and available for special events, this unique atmosphere is perfect for a sit down dinner or a club style party.
- Chesterwood has added Friday evening programming which focuses on live bluegrass and folk music on the grounds of Daniel Chester French’s estate. It is called Chesterfest Americana Music Series.
- Hancock Shaker Village has launched its new enhanced website funded by a $150,000 grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Museum goers to MASS MoCA will see (and feel, and even smell) for themselves German-born artist, Anselm Kiefer’s monolithic yet fluid work at the museum’s newest 10,000 square-foot exhibition space (known as Building 15). From September 27 through the next 15 years, the North Adams museum, in collaboration with the Hall Art Foundation, will have on “temporary” exhibit three installations that span the magnitude and breadth of Kiefer’s work.
- Boston Symphony Orchestra appoints Andris Nelson as its 15th Music Director since its founding in 1881. Looking forward to a great summer season at Tanglewood under his direction
- The Trustees of Reservations has completed the first phase of an extensive garden & landscape restoration at Naumkeag.
- Herman Melville’s Arrowhead got a facelift thanks in part from grants from MA Historical Commission’s Preservation Fund & MA Cultural Facilities Fund.e!
- The Boston Symphony Orchestra launches reality web series.
- Ramblewild is set to open in June. This venue is the newest aerial park in the Berkshires, it offers 8 unique self-guided, tree to tree aerial courses ranging from lower, beginning trails to much higher, more expert aerial courses.
- Berkshire East Ski area has built an addition to their base lodge, expanding it by 1,200 square feet, adding new food services and expanding seating for 250. Two trails, UMass and Hemlock, have also seen improvement.
- Catamount Ski Area has improved the snow making on upper mountain trails with a new mid mountain water pump.The Bobcat trail with snow making has been added to Catamount’s beginner terrain in the Meadows Area. There are now 9 green circle “easier” trails serviced by the Meadows Triple Chairlift and the double diamond Lynx trail has been added.
- Berkshire East is now the first ski resort in the U.S. to be using 100-percent renewable energy.
- Hilton Garden hotel is set to open in Spring of 2014 at 1032 South St. in Pittsfield.
- Seasons on Main B&B in Stockbridge has recently changed owners and has been renovated to include a massage room, a pool and a movie room
- The historic ballroom housed in the 1897 Gilded Age Mansion at Cranwell Resort, Spa and Golf Club recently received a complete makeover. One of the largest banquet facilities in Berkshire County, the elegant ballroom is the only one of its kind that can accommodate up to 225 for dinner and dancing.
- Wheatleigh in Lenox is started a new tradition. Every Wednesday night until June -September they will host – The Midsummer Night’s BBQ. Call 413.637.0610 for reservations.
- Bell and Anchor in Great Barrington is renamed The Prairie Whale.
- Berkshire Farm & Table has launched a variety of new Taste Trail on their website – Beer & Cider Makers – adding a nice complement to their Cheese and Charcuterie Taste Trails with 11 craft brew and hard cider stops in total.