The natural beauty, rich culture, and fresh cuisine of the Berkshires await your arrival. Whether you’re looking to plan a weekend getaway, a two-week vacation, or considering relocating to our dynamic region, our 30 towns and 2 cities are ready to greet you.
Navigating The Berkshires
A drive from tip to tail takes about 1.5 hours. The Berkshires is divided into North, Central, and South. Use the below information to help you plan travel to and around the region. A car is strongly recommended. Ride share services, like Uber and Lyft, are limited in the Berkshires. We have listed a variety of transportation options below. Hopefully one will be the perfect fit for you and your Berkshire vacation!
- From New Jersey, New York City, or Long Island areas
- follow any of the parkways north to I-87 North to I-90 East to Exit 2 (Lee, MA)
- From Taconic State Parkway
- to Northern Berkshires take Route 295 East to 41 North to 20 East to 7 North
- to Central Berkshires take Route 295 East to 41 North to 20 East
- to Southern Berkshires take Route 23 East
- From the Albany, NY area
- to northern and central Berkshires follow I-90 East (MASS Pike) then take Exit 11 (Nassau, NY) to Route 20 East
- to southern Berkshires take Exit 2 (Lee, MA)
- From the Hartford, CT area
- follow I-91 North to I-90 West to Exit 2 (Lee, MA)
- From Western CT areas
- follow either Route 7 or 8 North
- From Eastern MA area
- to northern and central Berkshires follow I-90 West (MASS Pike) to Exit 2 (Lee, MA)
- to southern Berkshires follow I-90 West (MASS Pike) toExit 1 (West Stockbridge, MA)
Car Rentals: Rental cars are available in Pittsfield from Enterprise (413) 443-6600.
- Peter Pan Bus Lines – 800-237-8747
- Greyhound – 800-231-2222
- Amtrak offers service to Pittsfield on the Lake Shore Limited, which runs between Boston and Chicago – 800-USA-RAIL
- The Berkshire Flyer provides rail service from New York City to Pittsfield in the Berkshires each weekend July 8th through Labor Day weekend.
Throughout the Berkshires
- Berkshire Regional Transit Authority (BRTA) provides public bus services throughout the Berkshires. Contact the BRTA at (413) 499-2782 for routes, schedules, and more information.
- Albany Airport (ALB) – 60 minutes, 45 miles
- Bradley International Airport (BDL) – 80 minutes, 70 miles
- Logan International Airport (BOS) – 2 1/2 hours, 135 miles
- New York City Airports (JFK, LGA, EWR) – 3 hours, 155 miles
Private Jet or Plane
- Harriman-West Airport – North Adams, MA
- Lyon Aviation – Pittsfield, MA
- Great Barrington Airport – Great Barrington, MA
Airport & Train Station Shuttles
- Berkshire Bike and Board – (413) 445-8888
Please call to arrange your rentals prior to arrival.