A Delicious Italian Holiday Dessert the Whole Family Will Love
Red Wine Berry Sauce / Jam Ingredients:
1 Pint Fresh Blueberry
1 Pint Fresh Strawberry
1 Pint Fresh Raspberry
1 Pint Fresh Blackberry
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Stick Cinnamon
1 Star Anise
Zest of 2 Oranges
1 Bottle Red Wine
1. Combine spices, zest, sugar and red wine in a medium sauce pan and let reduce by ¾
2. Strain through a fine chinois or a cheesecloth – lined colander.
3. Return liquid to sauce pan and add berries.
4. Cook over medium-low heat until reaching a “jammy” consistency
5. Let cool completely to room temperature.
6. Portion berries into desired glassware up to 1/3 of the volume
7. Freeze until solid 3 to 4 hours
Panna Cotta (start during the last hour of freezing the jam) Ingredients:
4 cups Heavy Cream
½ cup Sugar
1 Split Vanilla Bean
2 Packets Powdered Gelatin
6 Tablespoon Cold Water
1. Heat the cream and sugar in a sauce pan until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla bean (previously split open) and let steep for 30 minutes.
2. Sprinkle gelatin over the cold water in a medium bowl and let stand 10 minutes.
3. Warm the cream back up, remove the vanilla bean, pour the cream mixture over the gelatin and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
4. Let cool to room temperature before continuing to assembly (do not place it in the fridge as it would harden)
1. Ensure the panna cotta is at room temperature (not to hot/liquid as it would melt the jam, not too cold/thick as it would not be possible to poor into a glass)
2. Remove the glasses from freezer
3. Poor the panna cotta and fill the remaining 2/3 of the glass
4. Refrigerate until set (3 to 4 hours)
5. Top with powdered sugar or assorted toasted nuts.